Seminarium: Five Dimensional Gauge Theories and Higgs branch at Infinite Coupling
- Datum: 2017-05-31 kl 13:45
- Plats: Ångströmlaboratoriet Å73121
- Föreläsare: Amihay Hanany (Imperial College)
- Arrangör: Avdelningen för teoretisk fysik, institutionen för fysik och astronomi
- Kontaktperson: Fabrizio Nieri
A long standing problem is to figure out the Higgs branch of a 5d supersymmetric gauge theory when all parameters are set to zero. Such theories are generically constructed with branes by a web of five branes in Type IIB superstring theory. The problem is solved in an elegant way by presenting a 3d N=4 quiver theory, invoking an interesting 5d-3d correspondence. The Coulomb branch of the 3d gauge theory is the Higgs branch at infinite coupling of the 5d gauge theory, both being HyperKahler cones. Many features of the 5d theory including mesons, baryons and relatively new objects called instanton operators are captured by monopole operators, casimir invariants, and dressed monopole operators of the 3d theory.