Nuclear fission diagnostics and safeguards group
The fission diagnostics and nuclear safeguards group is developing new experimental methods, mainly to investigate the properties of nuclear fuel.
Fission diagnostics is the study of the processes going on in the fission process. We are developing core monitoring systems for reactors of Generation IV, and advanced systems for void control in boiling water reactors. Other techniques concern the study of used nuclear fuel, in order to make the best use of it.
Diagnostics for nuclear can be used also for nuclear safeguards, i.e. the efforts to ensure that the nuclear material is used in accordance with international treaties.
The work within the group can be described as four overlapping areas:
- Nuclear safeguards
- Safeguards are the international efforts concerning non-proliferation of nuclear weapons. The inspecting authorities make use of experimental techniques to ensure that the nuclear material is used in accordance with international treaties.
- Efficient reactor operation
- By studying the fuel performance in the reactors using experimental techniques, the purpose is to learn how to use the fuel more efficiently and thus to limit the amount of generated waste.
- The management of used nuclear fuel
- Here, experimental techniques are used to ensure safe and secure handling of the highly radioactive waste. The work is primarily focused on methods for use prior to encapsulation and final storage.
- Future energy systems
- The group is also involved in development of instrumentation and control for reactors in generation IV.
Learn more about our research projects by following the links to the right.
- Assay techniques for safeguards verification of nuclear fuel
- Nuclear safeguards using Cherenkov light
- Measurements of decay heat of used nuclear fuel
- Studies of void distributions using neutron tomography
- Unattended Gamma Emission Tomography of nuclear fuel
- Advanced diagnostics of nuclear fuel
- Safeguards and instrumentation for Generation IV
- Core Monitoring in Lead-Cooled Fast Reactors
- Core monitoring systems for the fast reactor ASTRID
Popular science presentation
Lecture by professor Ane Håkansson (in Swedish) from 2009: Safeguards eller konsten att fånga nukleära busar.