The mechanisms of magnetism and magnetic phenomena under non-equilibrium and temporally varying conditions can be efficiently studied using model Hamiltonians. Our primary focus lie on the theoretical description of magnetic effects, especially in nanoscale systems but also in bulk materials. Here, we study the time-dependent interactions between local spin moments and electronic current, and microscopic origin of magnetic interactions, such as spin-electron, spin-spin, spin-lattice, and spin-light interactions.
Special attention is paid to magnetic phenomena that are currently being investigated by local probing techniques (scanning tunneling and atomic force microscopy/spectroscopy). Here we address issues related to the general theoretical description of the measurements but also physical origins of probe induced variations in, e.g., anisotropy fields.
Our work is supported by external grants from the Swedish Research Council and Stiftelsen Olle Engqvist Byggmästare.
- Electrical and Thermal Control of Magnetic Exchange Interactions, J. Fransson, J. Ren, and J.-X. Zhu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 257201 (2014). https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.113.257201
- Atomistic Spin Dynamic Method with both Damping and Moment of Inertia Effects Included from First Principles, S. Bhattacharjee, L. Nordström, and J. Fransson, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 057204 (2012). https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.057204
- Dynamical exchange interactions between localized spins out of equilibrium, J. Fransson, Phys. Rev. B, 82, 180411(R) (2010). https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.82.180411
- Theory of spin-polarized scanning tunneling microscopy applied to local spins, J. Fransson, O. Eriksson, and A. V. Balatsky, Phys. Rev. B, 81, 115454 (2010). https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.81.115454
- Subnanosecond switching of local spin-exchange coupled to ferromagnets, J. Fransson, Phys. Rev. B, 77, 205316 (2008). https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.77.205316
Dr. Simone Borlenghi Garoia