History of Uppsala
Uppsala is one of the oldest towns in Sweden. Since 1164 Uppsala become the Seat of archbishop of the Church of Sweden, which accelerated its growth. Second important event of Uppsala history if foundation of Uppsala University in 1477. The University become the first one in Scandinavia. Today Uppsala is forth largest city in Sweden with 140000 inhabitants. Among Uppsala natives you can find such scientists as Anders Jonas Ångström, Svante Arrhenius, Anders Celsius, Carolus Linnaeus and famous Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman.
What to see?
Uppsala has a number of historical sights and different museums. The most interesting of them are:
- Uppsala Cathedral, the largest cathedral in Scandinavia. (Map)
- Very nice 200 years old Botanic Garden. (Map)
- Anatomical Theater, 400 years old university museum with wide variety of exhibitions. (Map)
- The Linnaeus Garden,first botanical garden founded in Sweden, has museum on its territory. (Map)
- Uppsala Castle,16th century royal castle not far from the center of Uppsala. (Map)
- Gamla Uppsala,the sight is ancient (6th century) pagan center of the town and whole Sweden. (Map)
These are only main museums in Uppsala. You can find more information on Uppsala Museer website.