Magnetism course, 1FA557, spring 2019
Welcome to the homepage for the Magnetism Course!
The main course literature is
- Ashcroft & Mermin: Solid State Physics
- Peter Mohn: Magnetism in the Solid State
- Eriksson et al.: Atomistic spin dynamics (book)
- C. J. Ballhausen: Introduction to Ligand Field Theory (book)
- M. T. Hutchings: Point-Charge Calculations of Energy Levels of Magnetic Ions in Crystalline Electric Fields in Solid State Physics 16, 227 (1964) (review article)
Lectures on 24.4. and 25.4.
Lecture on 3.5.
Lectures on 6.5. and 7.5.
- Classical theories (Langevin and Weiss theories)
- Quantum theories (Larmor diamagnetism, Van Vleck paramagnetism, Hunds rules, Brillouin function, Pauli paramagnetism and Heisenberg model)
Lecture on 10.5.
- Density Functional Theory slides
Lectures on 14.5. and 15.5.
- Crystal field theory slides - part 1 and part 2
- Review article about Steven's operators by Hutchings
Guest lecture on 21.5.
- spin dynamics lecture slides will be uploaded soon
Lecture on 24.5.
- Magneto-crystalline anisotropy slides
- Projects 1, 2 and 3: Heitler-London model, Hartree and Hartree-Fock methods (3 problems - beware the typos in the problem 3!)
- Project 4 - Stoner criterion
- Project 5 - magneto-crystalline anisotropy
- Project 6 - interaction between two energy levels
- Project 7 - crystal field hamiltonian and mean field approximation
- Project 8 - van Vleck paramagnetism, Brillouin function and Curie-Weiss law